A lot of things recently have made me reevaluate the person I am and where I’m at in my life — not the least of which is the fact that I’m turning 30 in October.
On one hand, I feel like I can still get into the head of the person I was at 22, when I was living in Bakersfield. But then again, I go over all the things that have happened since then and know that I must have changed.
And lately, I feel like I’ve slacked off on many of my hobbies and taking journeys, which is what made the decade following high school so much fun.
So this has been running through my head, and then I saw friend Maggie Creamer’s blog “Sometimes you need that.”
So after much thought, I created a “30 before 30” list.
I’m already four months into my 29th year, so I better get going. Some of these are concrete tasks, while others are more abstract ideas for me to keep in mind.
They range from career to family, commonplace to out of the ordinary.
I don’t expect to accomplish all of these, but I plan to work toward them all and hope that most of these are checked off by the time I blow out 30 candles.
And if I’m successful with this, I will be in a better state than I would have been otherwise.
Now, in no particular order:
1. Go on an adventure by myself.
2. Spend more time with my grandparents.
3. Take a weekend trip with Niel (my boyfriend) to some place that we’ve never been before.
4. Try at least one new home improvement/craft project a month.
5. Become friends with someone outside my current circle.
6. See more plays.
7. Work at saying thank you more often.
8. Go and see at least one smaller or independent film a month.
10. Find a project at work that I can sink my teeth into.
11. Lose 30 pounds.
12. Spend a weekend in Chicago.
13. Learn how to code, and make a website. (See my previous post about this.)
14. Spend time planning and preparing one semi-elaborate dinner a week.
15. Blog at least once a week.
16. Pay off my last credit card.
17. Refinance my car loan.
18. Visit a bourbon distillery.
19. Make a renewed effort to love people for their personalities and compassion.
20. Save $100 to $200 from each paycheck consistently.
21. Join a creative writing group, and write a short story.
22. Do more to show Niel how much I love him.
23. Go to more concerts.
24. Make items to sell at local handmade stores.
25. Rediscover something about journalism that I love every week.
26. Find a new band or artist to listen to every month.
27. Travel to at least four rural communities.
28. Do better at calling my parents and siblings regularly.
29. Take my nieces and nephew out once a month.
30. Make a concerted effort to catch up with my friends more often.
Look for more on my “30 before 30” in upcoming posts.